Top 5 Funnel.io Alternatives: What Solution to Choose in 2024
With integrations for over 500 data sources and a user base of 1,000+ companies, Funnel is a popular ETL platform among marketing and sales teams. However, when factors like pricing, usability, and features come into the equation, finding a Funnel alternative might be the better move.
That said, we’ve drawn up a list of the five best Funnel alternatives to help you make a more informed decision. TLDR? Here’s a quick summary:
- Improvado: A robust, enterprise-grade marketing analytics platform helping marketing, sales, and revenue teams automate full-cycle analytics and reporting processes. Ready to scale? Start improving your analytics today with full-fledged support from an Improvado expert.
- Domo: A cloud-based business intelligence (BI) platform for general business data.
- Marketing Cloud Intelligence (formerly Datorama): A marketing intelligence platform designed for technically advanced marketing teams.
- Supermetrics: A simple data extraction platform for small marketing teams using relatively fewer channels.
- Segment: A customer data platform designed for marketing, product, and engineering teams.
Now to the meat of the guide; let’s begin with an overview of Funnel.
Funnel is a low-code data platform that automates how businesses collect, prepare, and analyze marketing data. Compatible with over 500 data sources, Funnel enables marketing teams, data analysts, and IT professionals to aggregate data from multiple sources, apply simple transformations, and feed this data to an analytics, visualization or BI tool, or to a data warehouse.
Funnel’s data transformation functionality includes:
- Automatic categorization of data into metrics and dimensions, meaning all of your quantifiable data, such as clicks, likes and cost, goes into the “Metrics” tab, and things like country, name, and ads ID get automatically placed into the “Dimensions” tab.
- Currency conversion.
- Automatic categorization of connected data sources into groups.
- UTM-correlated grouping of data.
- Custom dimensions and metrics to set rules on combining data across multiple platforms.
Funnel also has a dashboard called Data Explorer that allows users to examine the raw data, as well as save and share their queries. The platform also provides scheduled import and export features. The frequency of imports and exports depends on your pricing plan. Thus, on an Essential plan for marketers, data can be exported from the warehouse every six hours, while on the Enterprise plan, the frequency is every two hours.
Overall, Funnel.io presents a limited number of marketing analysis capabilities. The platform supports only easy data transformation tasks. Any advanced data processing tasks should be done manually or using other data transformation tools.
Funnel offers two types of pricing plans: one for marketers and another for marketing agencies. The plans for marketers include:
- The Essentials plan (starting at $400 per month, billed annually).
- The Plus plan (starting at $1,100 per month, billed annually).
- The Enterprise plan (starting at $2,400 per month, billed annually).
The options for agencies include:
- The Agency Small plan
- The Agency Medium plan
- The Agency Large plan, all at the same price points as the plans for marketers.
In addition to that, Funnel uses a system of credits called Flexpoints. The points visualize one’s available and used capabilities within the system, like data connectors, transformation features, and other services. Each plan comes with a set number of Flexpoints that clients can use throughout their billing cycle. When clients exceed their points, further services come at an additional price.
Funnel offers integration with over 500 apps and platforms across a variety of categories, including social media, content management, email marketing, and more.
The platform also allows customers on the Plus and Enterprise plans to request custom data connectors to fetch data via push or pull methods. Each way of aggregating data has its pros and cons, and most of the issues should be handled with the help of data integration engineers.
Why Look for a Funnel Alternative?
Here are some reasons why you might consider switching to another data solution:
- Funnel can only handle easy data transformation tasks; the rest should be done manually. For example, you’ve pulled data from different data sources into one report. One platform uses impressions to indicate the number of times the audience viewed a piece of content; the other platform goes with views. Automated naming convention unification is something that other tools can easily handle, recognizing that views and impressions represent the same user action. However, Funnel doesn’t offer this feature. Funnel will see and treat these two as completely different metrics.
- Considering that most of the time dedicated to analytics goes to data normalization and transformation, Funnel, with its simple data transformations, doesn’t help save time on these tasks.
- Despite a high number of data sources, Funnel supports fewer metrics and dimensions (comes with lower data granularity) than some of its competitors. As an alternative to aggregating the missing metrics manually, clients switch to solutions with higher data granularity—for example, Improvado aggregates over 33,000 metrics and dimensions. From a popular marketing platform like Facebook Ads, it pulls over 4,300 data points.
Your ideal alternative largely depends on your specific needs as an executive, the size of your organization, your team’s technical skills, and your organization’s revenue goals, among other aspects. Here’s the comparative analysis of the top 5 Funnel alternatives.
#1. Improvado (Best Funnel Alternative)
Improvado is a no-code, enterprise-grade marketing analytics platform designed to help marketing, sales, and revenue teams aggregate, transform, and push analysis-ready data to an analytics, visualization or BI tool, or to a data warehouse. Data can also be visualized using one of the many pre-built dashboards.
The solution offers over 500 native data source connectors, like Facebook Ads, Google Analytics, TikTok Ads, MailChimp, and Twitter, and it provides pre-built extraction templates for clients to easily run bulk campaign extractions.
If Improvado doesn’t support a certain data source, clients can request custom connectors. That way, you can stream data from all your marketing and sales platforms (CRM, email, social media ads, PPC, and more), transform it, and get a holistic picture of all your marketing efforts, the costs, and the revenue associated with campaigns.
Data transformation, one of the main elements criticized by Funnel users, is the key functionality in Improvado. Improvado leverages artificial intelligence to automatically harmonize disparate naming conventions across all data sources, delivering a unified metric structure that speeds up your analytics procedures. Improvado’s transformation engine also lets customers run automated data mapping and transformations using self-service or out-of-the-box recipes.
Similar to Funnel, Improvado provides scheduled data warehouse exports and is flexible in the frequency of extractions. It also supports scheduled reporting updates and provides the functionality to sync data anytime.
Improvado runs on a custom pricing model. This means that it provides a quote tailored to your organization’s unique data needs. This can only be determined through a call with an expert from the team. In general, pricing is determined by the volume of data the company processes.
Similar to Funnel, Improvado has its own tokens, called DECS points, which client can spend on new APIs, report type development, report type changes, flat file ingestion, or other development needs. The single credit value of DECS points depends on the client's tier.
Improvado offers over 500 native integrations to popular data sources, including social media marketing platforms, CRMs, email marketing, SEO & SEM, eCommerce, and data providers. The platform also supports popular data warehouses, from Google BigQuery and Amazon Redshift to Heroku and Oracle, and visualization platforms such as Looker, Tableau, Google Data Studio, and more. See the full list of Improvado-supported data sources and browse through the Data Dictionary featuring all of the metrics, dimensions, and report types the solution provides or book a call with a company representative to discuss your analytics needs.
Domo is a cloud-based business intelligence platform that enables business executives to automatically integrate data from multiple sources, transform it, generate insights in real time, and extend BI into organizational workflows. The platform is designed as a one-size-fits-all for executives of all departments, from marketing and sales to engineering and HR, which is made possible by over 1,000 data source connectors.
Domo runs on a custom pricing model tailored to the data needs and capacity of each organization. To get specific pricing, you’d need to reach out to the sales team. However, Domo allows potential clients to create a free account to test drive the platform before fully committing.
Domo supports over 1000 data sources, allowing users to integrate data from a wide variety of channels. If you narrow down the list of supported sources to marketing and sales platforms, the number of available sources is reduced to 306.
#3. Marketing Cloud Intelligence (formerly Datorama)
Owned by Salesforce, Marketing Cloud Intelligence (formerly known as Datorama) is an AI-driven platform that enables companies to integrate data from all their marketing platforms, build reports, and achieve in-depth insights into their marketing efforts. Marketing Cloud Intelligence is a tad more complex to use and requires SQL knowledge to get the best out of it.
Marketing Cloud Intelligence Pricing
Marketing Cloud Intelligence is on the pricier side of the spectrum, making the tool unsuitable for most small- and medium-sized businesses, despite their enormous amounts of data, as indicated in the G2 reviews. Marketing Cloud Intelligence offers three pricing plans, starting at $3,000 per month. It also has a ton of add-ons that can cost anywhere from $120 to $8,000 a month.
Marketing Cloud Intelligence Integrations
The platform claims to have the most comprehensive library of marketing API connectors on the internet. However, some resources indicate that Marketing Cloud Intelligence offers around 170 data sources, and only 123 of them are marketing vendors. This number of tools may not provide a sufficient level of detail in reports.
Supermetrics is a lean, marketer-focused data extraction platform that helps marketing teams send data from multiple marketing channels to a unified destination, such as a reporting, analytics, or storage platform.
Much like Funnel.io, Supermetrics doesn’t have data transformation capabilities, except for the Custom Fields. It’ll be the job of the in-house data analytics and IT department to harmonize tons of raw data and prepare it for analysis. Supermetrics customers also mention that the tool automatically pulls tons of data when connecting a new data source, and it takes a lot of manual work to sort through it.
With Improvado, a company gets the highest quality of support on the marketing reporting market. Improvado's quality of support rating is 9.2, which is higher than the Funnel's or Supermetrics' rating. Customers gain access to Improvado's highly attentive and experienced customer success representatives no matter which package it chooses.
Supermetrics offers a wide variety of packages depending on what destination you’re working with. Here’s a list of destinations included in Supermetrics’ pricing:
- Spreadsheets: Includes Google Sheets and Excel. Starts at $99/month for seven data sources.
- Data Visualization: Includes Data Studio and starts at $39/month for one data source.
- Google Analytics: Includes the Supermetrics Uploader. Starts at $39/month for five uploads.
- Data Warehouses: Includes BigQuery, Snowflake, Azure Synapse, Redshift, and Azure SQL Database. Pricing for these is customized to your needs after a call with the sales team.
- Cloud Storage and Data Lakes — Includes Amazon S3, Google Cloud Storage, and Azure Storage. You also get a quote after a call with the sales team.
Each package has a predetermined list of data sources, and all additional connectors come at $35/month. Customizing the package and ensuring you have all the needed data sources may end up costing more than you anticipated.
Supermetrics offers native integrations to 90+ marketing data sources. However, only enterprise users can access all of these integrations at once. Users can also request a custom connector if the original source pushes data through the API. Users can submit their requests on the Supermetrics Roadmap website and upvote the connectors suggested by other customers.
Segment is a customer data platform that helps organizations collect, transform, load, and archive first-party customer data. Unlike other tools on the list, Segment also tracks data on users’ interaction with the website or an application.
Once the data is collected, users have multiple options for what to do with this data next:
- Send data to a destination like Google Ads, Adobe Analytics, or Adjust for further use or analysis.
- Send it to a warehouse: AWS S3, Postgres, Snowflake.
- Aggregate data from multiple sources and send it to a warehouse for further analysis.
- Use Segment’s personas to create unified customer profiles based on the data across devices and channels.
Segment’s standard paid package starts at $120/month and includes unlimited sources and destinations, one warehouse destination, and 10,000 visitors that are tracked with the platform. Other features and additional visitors are priced separately. For companies with more data needs, Segment offers a Business plan with custom pricing.
Segment offers integrations for over 450+ platforms in different categories, ranging from advertising and performance marketing to A/B testing and user acquisition.
Having gone through our list of Funnel competitors, here are a few things you should consider before making your final decision.
- The size of your organization: A small business will most likely benefit from the Supermetrics integration, a data aggregation tool with little transformation functionality and a package with 10 data sources for a lower price. Solutions like Marketing Cloud Intelligence will work for enterprise companies with bigger data needs and a more substantial budget. Improvado is well suited for medium-sized and enterprise-level companies. The solution offers a range of features and professional services, while pricing is tailored to the volume your company uses.
- Number of channels you use for your campaigns: Funnel, Supermetrics, and Improvado are designed with the needs of sales and marketing teams in mind. When choosing between the three, consider which platform offers the highest data granularity. If your goal is to fetch customer data from the app, then Segment is your go-to solution.
- Available engineering resources: If you’ve got in-house engineering capacity, you can go with solutions like Marketing Cloud Intelligence, Segment, or Domo. Otherwise, you’ll benefit more from a no-code solution like Improvado.
- Advanced features: Enterprise companies will benefit most from solutions like Domo and Improvado that offer advanced data transformation features and lots of room for customization.
- Budget: All of the companies mentioned above have either custom pricing or multiple pre-built packages with any additional features and data sources available as an add-on. The only solution here is to see which one provides the best quality-to-price ratio.
Factoring these points into the equation will ensure that you end up with a platform that drives your organization closer to its short- and long-term revenue goals.
Do you need more guidance on what platform is best for your organization? Feel free to book a free consultation with one of our experts.